[QuadList] Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 11:46:59 CDT 2011

In message <CE78BCC4-4F6A-496E-B986-8DE194009EC4 at verizon.net>, Dennis
Degan <DennyD1 at verizon.net> writes

>               On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:57 AM, sgw1009 wrote:
>
>> In 1959, AT&T did not have the capability of transmitting full
>bandwidth (20KHz) audio across the country.  Their audio bandwidth was
>limited to only 5KHz, and in fact would a separate path from the video.
>So the recording had to be made at the studio in Burbank, and not New
>York, judging by the
>high audio quality.
>
>               I add:
>
>       This audio system was in place until 1977!
>       BTW, the 5KHz audio was pretty good.  Though band-limited, there
>was  not a lot of noise present.  True, it wasn't high fidelity as we
>know  it, but you'd be surprised at how good it sounded.  I'm pretty
>certain  now that, based on what I know, the recording was made in New
>York or  somewhere along the network line.

I'm not familiar with your US network distribution system, but it's
obvious that with the *RIGHT* male voice a well equalised 5 kc/s circuit
(and the right people) could produce a very acceptable outcome.

I may be an engineer, but I don't always need metering to tell me good
from bad!
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and