[QuadList] Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 24 15:59:59 CDT 2011

		On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Tony Quinn wrote:

 > I'm not familiar with your US network distribution system, but it's
obvious that with the *RIGHT* male voice a well equalised 5 kc/s
circuit (and the right people) could produce a very acceptable outcome.
 > I may be an engineer, but I don't always need metering to tell me
good from bad!

		I expand:

	Tony, in the US, television networks used the national telephone
company AT&T almost exclusively to distribute their programming into
the early 1980's when satellite distribution was introduced.  Until
1977, the old 'Telco' distribution system maintained audio and video
as separate parallel feeds.  This required constant monitoring along
the various paths to ensure that audio and video remained in sync with
each other.  In 1977, AT&T improved the video service so that it was
capable of carrying a wider bandwidth than before.  Wider bandwidth
systems allowed for audio subcarriers to be transmitted along with the
video, thereby providing for the first time a single system for both
video and audio.  This advance provided several new improvements in
addition to its simple 'one line' concept:  Audio quality was
dramatically improved to high-fidelity levels.  25-15KHz bandwidth
became possible as well as stereo transmission, both of which were not
available to network affiliates before.  System noise levels were
lowered as well, and the elimination of the need to synchronize audio
to video was a tremendous advantage over the older separate system.
	This new multiplex transmission system lasted only until satellite
distribution became common.  NBC started satellite distribution of its
programming around 1982 using the Ku band, the only network at the
time go with Ku.
	Now of course, everything is digital and high definition.  Audio is
so much better than what was available just a few years ago, it's hard
to imagine what it was like back then.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York