[QuadList] Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 24 17:32:10 CDT 2011

		On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Tony Quinn wrote:

 > As it did in the UK, all circuits were GPO (General Post Office -
the national provider of telephony). By 1979-ish SiS (Sound In Syncs)
was common.
	<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound-in-Syncs>

		I now say:

	The idea was the same but the method was a bit different.

		Tony said:

 > The US seems way behind the curve here ...... In 1980, when I
joined the industry, DSiS (Dual SiS - for stereo or dual mono) was
certainly common.
NICAM at a broadcast (as opposed to inhouse) technique wasn't far away
at that point

		I say:

	I don't know how you figure the US was behind at the time.  Stereo TV
broadcasting was not standardized until 1984.  Even so, the multiplex
audio system was equipped for stereo from the start, in 1977.  By
1980, it was common though broadcasting stereo was not yet allowed.
Some TV stations and specific programs got around this by simulcasting
stereo audio on local FM radio.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York