[QuadList] Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 16:12:20 CDT 2011

In message <97C8FD0D-B768-4FC4-8FEA-8DBB34DD45CD at verizon.net>, Dennis
Degan <DennyD1 at verizon.net> writes

>>              On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:57 AM, sgw1009 wrote:
>>
>>> In 1959, AT&T did not have the capability of transmitting full
>>>bandwidth (20KHz) audio across the country.  Their audio bandwidth
>>>was limited to only 5KHz, and in fact would a separate path from the
>>>video. So the recording had to be made at the studio in Burbank, and
>>>not New York, judging by the high audio quality.
>>
>>              I add:
>>
>>      This audio system was in place until 1977!
>>      BTW, the 5KHz audio was pretty good.  Though band-limited, there
>>was  not a lot of noise present.  True, it wasn't high fidelity as we
>>know  it, but you'd be surprised at how good it sounded.  I'm pretty
>>certain  now that, based on what I know, the recording was made in New
>>York or  somewhere along the network line.
>
>               On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Tony Quinn wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with your US network distribution system, but it's
>obvious that with the *RIGHT* male voice a well equalised 5 kc/s
>circuit (and the right people) could produce a very acceptable outcome.
>> I may be an engineer, but I don't always need metering to tell me
>good from bad!
>
>               I expand:
>
>       Tony, in the US, television networks used the national telephone
>company AT&T almost exclusively to distribute their programming into
>the early 1980's when satellite distribution was introduced.  Until
>1977, the old 'Telco' distribution system maintained audio and video as
>separate parallel feeds.  This required constant monitoring along the
>various paths to ensure that audio and video remained in sync with each
>other.

As it did in the UK, all circuits were GPO (General Post Office - the
national provider of telephony). By 1979-ish SiS (Sound In Syncs) was
common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound-in-Syncs

>In 1977, AT&T improved the video service so that it was  capable of
>carrying a wider bandwidth than before.  Wider bandwidth  systems
>allowed for audio subcarriers to be transmitted along with the  video,
>thereby providing for the first time a single system for both  video
>and audio.

The US seems way behind the curve here ...... In 1980, when I joined the
industry, DSiS (Dual SiS - for stereo or dual mono) was certainly
common.
NICAM at a broadcast (as opposed to inhouse) technique wasn't far away
at that point

--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and