[QuadList] Training Classes

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Wed May 18 14:13:03 CDT 2011

I never had the chance to go to a training class for quads.  I found  that
I could keep them going with the best of them.  We were a  production house
and I got to the point where I could trouble shoot them with  ease.  Part of
the way that I kept them going was to keep an eye on the  lock up times.
Any time a VR-1200 was over 4 seconds it was time to go  through it.  We felt
that 3.5 was the norm for us.  Also we did a 25  head hour check.  We felt
that we should be able to record on any machine  and play it back on any
other machine with minimal adjustment.  We  optimized so that the playback of
an alignment tape and a recording were almost  identical.

The machines we had were very well taken care of.  It showed in the
quality of the output.

Did people find the class that good?  I have a training manual and  notice
that it basically went through each system and explained it.  The  books
from Ampex were very good and I was able to get that information from  them.  I
did see that there were some notes that were handed out in the  class.
Some of these applied to different versions.  Like the  Intersync notes are not
that good for the last version.  One can not use  them for the last version
and do the alignment correctly.

So how much did you glean from the class and how much from working on the
machines?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN