[QuadList] Training Classes

george keller georgenann at aol.com
Wed May 18 14:54:10 CDT 2011

Chris,

First of all, the AMPEX Training was the best.  They had some great instructors who had a knack for getting the point across.  Lou Bitton and Cecil Brown were tops as was Tom Oliver.  You couldn't help learning from them.  They also had a deep insight into the equipment. Lou was just a natural, he kept everything funny and interesting.  Cecil did also, he was a retired AF E-9 which is nothing to sneeze about.  Tom Oliver was a retired Navy CTMC (Chief Petty Officer) from my outfit, albeit different part of the world.  John Ranke just plain knew his stuff and it showed. These guys also wrote the trainning manuals and most of the docs on the machines. AMPEX's docs were great also, you could trace any circuit through the whole machine with ease which was a great help also.  Every signal was labeled as to what it's purpose in life was.

I consider myself a "Slow Learner" so that is more testament to these guy's training proficiency.

Most of the Sony schools couldn't even hold a candle to the Ampex guys. They were OK, even I learned a good bit from them but one didn't leave the classes with the feeling that you just learned a whole lot.  Fortunately their documentation was pretty good.

Also, the engineering behind that equipment and it's manufacturing were outstanding.  They weren't even a TQM outfit, but their product was almost perfect. That's what helped make maint. guys look good.  After all where can you find something like an AVR-1 still make perfect pictures after such a long period of time.  I wish I could buy a car that worked so well.

I guess this all made it possible to dope out most of the machine thru OJT, my guess it that you are an above average tech with a lot of patience.  Now and then you might run into someone who had the training, but just didn't get it, but even that was a help because the more you had to help these guys and get them up to speed, the more you would understand the machines.  I actually found it to be a big help myself.

Hope this answers the question.

George Keller