[QuadList] TBC

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon May 2 10:30:01 CDT 2011

Hi Tim:

I suspect you are right about that!  In the 70's, we had one of the first
Microtime analog TBC's which I gave away many years ago, but I still have a
manual for it.  We used it with H-locked VPR-7900's and it worked well in
that application. It was fed by a switcher so that it could be used with
either of two 7900's, and you could "hot switch" between the two machines if
needed.

It worked with either heterodyne or direct color, but we never used the
heterodyne mode which was a 2-step process.  In order to get a fully locked
signal from 1/2" or 3/4" tape, you first played the helical tape through the
TBC and recorded it on a machine that could H-Lock on playback.  Then you
took the demod out of that machine, and played back the H-locked dub through
the TBC and got coherent output....at least that's what the manual says!

We only used it with the 1" direct color machines and I don't think I ever
tried it with a quad, but the manual outlines that process.  With an 8.8
microsecond window, it was basically an Amtec/Colortec on steroids, same
correction approach, just 8x the delay line.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com