[QuadList] TBC

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 18:00:23 CDT 2011

Hi Don & Park,

Yes, you are correct Don, but let's put some dates on these things.

I did some work trying to get the VR-7800/VR-7900 to work thru a Amtek/Colortec in late 1970's, and I was still working in Elk Grove, IL.

At this time I got into the Anderson Lab's TBC contract.

August of 1971, I moved to California with Ampex,

Late that year the Anderson Labs prototype was tested in California and was found unacceptable.

Early 1972, I saw the Ampex "mini-buffer" (with Anderson delay lines which was created by the AVR-1 buffer folks, which were engineers who worked with Charles Coleman) which was to be available in a VR-1200, to be renamed the VR-1400.

This became the TBC-790.

I also saw the prototype work on the DTBC.

I also moved from the Helical Group, to the Broadcast Group, and was assigned some GREAT products, the VR-1200B & C models, the VR-3000, and all the quad accessories.

Also I had a new product in development, code named "NOVA"

The Nova product was going so well that we gambled at the NAB show in Washington,in 1973.

First, I had a prototype console assembled photographed after hours in the Engineering  Building lobby. I created a secret brochure with VR-1400 as the model number, and I burned all 1000 copies in my fireplace after NAB 73.

This prototype was shipped to the Washington, DC area, but not shown.

Note: Another milestone was when I was standing in the background in the CVS demo suite,at about 6PM, of the first day of the show and heard the Anderson Labs design teams comments on the New CVS DTBC, which was the shock item of the show.

Later, I went to dinner with the CVS management folks and had only one comment, Great Job Fellas, but I think you are "leaving money on the table".

So, CVS got the credit for the first DTBC at NAB 1973.

One year later we introduced the "Nova" product, as the AVR-2 and the TBC-800 for helicals.

One month later, with a AVR-2 in a demo suite in a Canadian trade show in Calgary, I gave a iimpromptu AVR-2 paper, right after as CBS Labs paper was read, that stated that the DTBC was a great product, but not ready for Broadcast use
.
I told the audience that they could be the judge of that statement, and they all came and saw the broadcast product in the suite.
Note: The first AVR-2 was on the air in Nashville, less than 48 hrs from leaving the NAB show floor in Huston, Tx.

Bye for now, Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)