[QuadList] What is it????

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri May 13 22:08:11 CDT 2011

And once again, Chris is the winner!!!!

Bill Carpenter told us about a mini buffer (TBC) that was designed for the VR-1400, a VR-1200 fitted with the new TBC to replace Amtec/Colortec/Velcomp/ProcAmp, but the machine never became a product due to the development of the AVR-2. However, the TBC design went on to become the TBC-790, intended for use with the VPR-7900.

Ampex used some of the modules from the AVR-1 as well as some newly designed modules, but the card cage design of the TBC-790 was different in several respects from the AVR-1.  For one thing, there were coax connectors in the AVR-1 back plane, but not in the TBC-790, so the coaxial connections that would normally have mated with connectors on the rear of the modules were instead routed to connectors on the front panel.  I suspect that was done to save cost, however, another difference has always puzzled me.  For whatever reason, the card frame in the TBC-790 is "upside down and backwards" as compared to the AVR-1, so the re-purposed cards (which were not re-labeled) have connector pin numbers that are opposite of what you would expect.

Otherwise, the mechanical design of the modules is unchanged except for the extruded aluminum handle that runs the length of the module instead of the "loop" handle on the AVR-1.  It's the same design as used on the AVR-2, VPR-7900 and VPR-7800.  Here's a pic of the module installed in a TBC-790 with jumpers between modules taking the place of the back-plane connectors in the AVR-1.

Interestingly, in the TBC-790 manual, for the modules that were "borrowed" from the AVR-1, there was no re-working of the drawings to match the new configurations for the TBC.  The pages from the AVR-1 manual were simply copied, ignoring the changes in the mechanical design and the pin numbering!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com