[QuadList] What is it????

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 23:59:41 CDT 2011

Hi Folks,

In answer to the some of questions that this Great quiz created, I must give some vital history.

I moved to California, in 1971, and arrived in August. The group from Elk Grove, where placed in two old Fairchild buildings, at the corner of Middlefield & Wisman roads in Mountain View, Ca ( 12 southeast of Redwood City, down historic HY101) and engineering was also combined with some of the engineers from the Los Gato's lab which was still designing the Instavideo 1/2" Consumer product.

I was there for three months, and early in November, we got the word that we were ( Ampex Corp) in Big financial trouble, at the Fiscal 1/2 Year, we were losing 40Million$ on a projected 240M$ in sales. I was the only product manager for all products from Elk Grove and Carlos Kennedy was product manager for Instavideo.

The only good part of the job in Mountain View, was the Wagon Wheel Bar & Restaurant, diagonally across the street where it was said the IC concept was born, many years earlier.

We bailed out of those buildings by early January, and I moved to Redwood City.

They closed down major operations, wrote off everything they could, laid off everyone who wasn't needed.

Those days created the basic statement, "That only the Optimists brought their lunch at Ampex", since many questioned whether they would still have a job by noon!

So this was the environment that was driving the Broadcast Div of Ampex when in late 1971, the TBC790 & the (Quad that never was, the VR-1400) were conceived. No extra effort or redesign was expended, and even the DTBC effort was on shaky ground.

I moved from the Helical (Elk Grove Products) products group to the Quad group, because a product manager in the Quad group could not get along with the Manager of Product management.

I had only looked at a few quad schematics, messed with an Amtec/Colortec while trying to make them work with the VR-7900. I had never operated a Quad.

So I had the VR-1200's, the VR-3000, and all quad accessories and the "Nova" engineering project that became the AVR-2

So, we were in a desperate survival mode, cutting every corner, not spending an extra dime on anything.

So, that's why some of the things that were done in that period may not have made good sense, or even seemed like being done the "Ampex
Way".

OBTW, the loss that was reported at the end of the Fiscal Year in May of 1972, was really 90 Million$ on sales of 240M$ which was bad news for a publicly held company.

I survived, introduced the AVR-2 @ NAB 1974 in Huston, Tx and at 1976 at the Board of Directors meeting, the Chairman of the Board, leaned on the AVR-2, and said that this machine had brought the company back in two years, farther than he thought we would be in 5 years.

So, that's a little slice of Quad History from almost 40 years ago.

Bye for now,  Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)