[QuadList] What is it????

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat May 14 11:07:23 CDT 2011

Hi Chris:

I'll agree that the IVC interchange was better.  Beyond that, both the electronics and the transports had issues.  While the transport looked very "professional", a check underneath revealed some serious shortcomings, especially the lack of direct drive servo system for the drum.  As the machines aged, this became even more apparent when the pulley wore to the point that the head could never achieve speed!

As for the TBC designs, the analog TBC-790 came out in '72.  At that point, I'd guess that the cost of digital was still too high for the helical market.  Two years later in '74, the TBC-800 was introduced as Ampex's first DTBC for helical.  Weighing in at a mere 100 lbs compared to the 120 lbs of the 790, it had a 1-H correction window and list price was $11,500 plus an additional $3,500 for Velcomp.  The 790 had been priced at $10,000 for the base unit and only had a correction window of +/-1.5 usec, so for about the same price, there was a huge performance increase in two years.  Then, in another two years ('76), the TBC-1 at $12,800 plus only $1,500 for Velcomp offered a +/-6H window for less cost than the TBC-800.  It was also down to a lightweight 80 lbs!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com