[QuadList] What is it????

Bill bherzog at budget.net
Sun May 15 01:20:08 CDT 2011

After the AVR1 was production released there were a lot of Redwood City
engineers sitting around with very little to do.There were no active
development budgets other than MPD (maintenance of product design), and
the camera projects.I was bootlegging the design of a NTSC encoder based
on Charley Coleman's Pal encoder prototype he designed for the Universal
Colortec project.Somehow I came up with what I thought was an original
error detector circuit.Instead of comparing sync versus a reference and
generating an error voltage that controlled a variable delay line, this
circuit simply looked at the first sync pulse that came along after the
reference from a series of taps on a long delay line.Whichever tap first
produced a sync after the reference, that was the tap that should be
used and was selected as the output.The video then went into the vernier
corrector exactly as the AVR1.The vernier corrector was essentially a
modern version of Colortec.I built a breadboard to prove the logic and
demonstrated it to Charles Anderson the manager.He liked it and said
they had been thinking about a new model Quad machine with a box that
replaced Amtec, Colortec, Velocity Comp, and Processor.Within a month I
had a budget, and the Minibuffer was started with a staff of about 4 men
including myself.We were proceeding quite rapidly, because a lot of the
boards were just lifts from the AVR1, when Charles Anderson said to
start thinking how to make it helical as well as quad.Apparently there
was a need for a helical tbc, and this might fit the bill.In the end the
tbc ended up helical only, but there were months there that it was to be
a dual purpose tbc.There was a significant cost reduction in the delay
lines opposed to those in the AVR1, because the delay lines were
conventional lumped constant delays passing baseband video.This was much
less expensive than the rf based mod/demod glass lines used in the
AVR1.I put the rf connectors on the front panel, because I didn't like
having to make precise alignment fixtures so the boards would plug into
the back, as the AVR1.I don't remember the connector pins being
reversed, and have no explanation how that happened.The entire project
for the 790 tbc was rather inexpensive as projects went in those days,
and we had no major delays.Simultaneously Maurice Lemoine was
championing a digital tbc, but was delayed funding for considerable
time.There were still a lot of questions about the "quality" of
digital.Number of bits, sampling frequency, multigeneration, etc.Maurice
had to bootleg his A to D for quite a while before he actually got
funded.I don't know for sure, but I always assumed that the powers that
be considered my approach to another tbc the safer route at that time.

Bill Herzog