[QuadList] Samma Solo

Shai Drori srdbx at netvision.net.il
Sun May 15 02:07:58 CDT 2011

Oh so true. As a friend of mine says "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap".
That is why my pride and joy on the audio side is the Ampex atr-100 (had
4, 1 burnt down so now only 3), Studer c-37, etc. On the other hand I
also have some pr-99 and tascam 32 for oral history tapes. I am totally
with you on the hassle factor. That is why I haven't bought a MovieStuff
scanner yet. I am looking at other options as well, some suggested by
you. The trouble with the Samma Robot is the initial cost. When I
checked 2-3 years ago the quote was over 300k. My clients are loyal, but
pay very little per hour. My luck is that labor cost in Israel is dirt
cheap. I think the Samma solo (or DR for that matter) can do what I want
as far as quality and hassle factor, but I hope the cost will be
reasonable. I need to produce three different files from each tape so a
system that does this simultaneously is a good option. The other option
is splitting the digital signal and recording on three different
computers (hasssssssle big time). Add to that the size of the rig, etc.
and it adds up. Unfortunately, so far, the costs were so high that it
was still worth while for me to build the systems myself. Adding a Quad
machine to all this will be fun, though I am counting on some white
nights and an angry wife. LOL
Shai