[QuadList] Noticed a 2 inch tape cleaner for sale on E-Bay.

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Nov 5 13:55:49 CDT 2011

The questions are: How much does it take to design a machine that will clean tapes effectively and safely,  then how much to actually manufacture it and to have a profit margin that is conducive enough to do the first two things?

The number of potential or actual sales plays a big role in setting a price.

That's likely why Bow wants $38k, and why RTI asks what it does for its'
 machines. And doesn't make certain models anymore.

What different potential purchasers become willing to pay is something else.

Lee mentions Bow.  It's focus is on data tape equipment, a larger market for cleaners than videotape, likely because data recovery and retention is seen as "necessary" where video gets tagged as art or entertainment and isn't   Viewed as ultimately necessary.

So there's more potential volume there, and a better ROI.

If monetizing content on old videotapes  had a significant profit benefit, you'd see more volume of tapes being transferred or restored and more investment in development of tools to recover content.

That could include tape cleaners, new VTRs for older formats using current science and advancements.

There are people ready to move ahead with items if someone wants to invest.

Perhaps a group of potential users helps fund that activity?

That could improve the availability of equipment.

Lee says he's been waiting more than two years for a used Elcon to show up at a reasonable price.

And he'll likely still be waiting for quite a while.

And then hope it's working, has a service and ops manual and that parts are available.

What to do if one needs a cleaner Now?

What would a "reasonable" weekly rental fee for use of a currently manufactured machine be?

Ted

Sent from my iPhone
(530) 301-2931
Skype: tedlangdell