[QuadList] Fuji vs 3M tape

David Dean dixie at westpoint.tv
Fri Nov 25 03:30:32 CST 2011

In my experience Fuji 2" seems to hold up better than 3M , usually 3M will
need baking, I must admit that I do not see many uncut rolls as most of my
transfers are G spools. Ampex seems ok as well.
The way the material is stored is a serious consideration. If  I  am not
sure I look at the state of the screws on the spool flanges, if they are as
"new" then everything is usually fine. If they are corroded this is a sign
of trouble.
I did do a large archive of 1" B format and Ampex was fine, but Scotch
needed to be baked 9 times out of 10.
My half penny worth

David Dean
Westpoint Television
Archiving Services London
2" Quad , 1" B, 1"C, D1, D2, D3, D5, HDCam and HDV
.5", EIAJ, In Various Standards where supported
Alchemist Ph.C conversions with Clean Cut
Snell and Wilcox Ukon for HD frame rate conversions and Up and Down
conversions
Digital Vision DVNR with scratch  and dropout concealment
Tel 020 8742 3400