[QuadList] QuadList status report--Sunday, April 29, 2012--We're Back.

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Apr 29 22:22:36 CDT 2012

Another NAB has passed, and our Fifth Annual Quad Videotape Group Annual Lunch at NAB was held on its usual Tuesday in the rear food court seating area in Lower South Hall.

We'll post pictures to the QuadList later this coming week... and also revise the website, with new information as time allows.

The QuadVideotapeGroup.com website and QuadList uses a shared IP address from a server farm in Texas

Somewhere about the same time as our Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB, a number of internet Blacklists began reporting that the shared IP address was connected to a trojan of some sort.

As a result, we began receiving rejection notices and blocking of posts to the list.

A number of users were automatically unsubscribed by the MailMan software because of excessive bounces.

This situation also affected a number of e-mail addresses with other domains I maintain on the same server.

After contacting our web hosting company to address the Trojan and blockade, it appears that the blocks have been lifted, and I'm not seeing bounces or rejections from posts I've sent recently.

QuadList members who were unsubscribed due to bounces have been re-subscribed, and should receive this e-mail.

During this period, we also were unable to point out that yesterday was the 54th anniversary of the dedication of NBC Burbank Videotape Central... with eight first generation Ampex VR-1000 quads and only one RCA machine.

I'll repost an e-mail I just sent.

We'd also like to welcome Steve White to the list.  He subscribed to post a comment about the Beatles Washington D.C. concert that David Crosthwait helped restore.

Unfortunately, he posted with a different address than the one he subscribed with, and the message was held.

I've asked him to repost.  It's a good read. He was on the crew for the shoot and offers some insight into the remote.

Please make sure you use your subscribed address to post.  Otherwise your messages get held up as "post to the list by a non-subscriber."  It has happened to me, too.

And welcome to all the other new QuadList members who have joined since our last member list update.

I hope to post a fresh version soon so you can see if there's someone you know, or someone near you on the list.

As we enter our sixth year, a toast to all the First and Second Generation Quad Design, Maintenance and Operating Engineers, and to training the Third and Fourth Generations so the Content lives on.

ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in conjunction with the Library of Congress