[QuadList] OT: 1" Type-B format question

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Mon Apr 2 10:29:58 CDT 2012

The stationary control head observation is correct.

B format was used in the states up till about 1985 or so for field/post production but once the second generation of Sony C machines become widely accepted, the usage dropped off radically, at least that's the way it played out here in Hollywood/Los Angeles. I have lunch occasionally here in Burbank with long time friend who used to run a B format field operation.

I've had PAL B format tapes recorded in Germany here from transfer recorded in the late 80's. So one could assume that it was supported there a lot longer than here. That would make logical sense as I worked an early HDTV Bosch truck outfitted with two Bosch BCH-1000 analog VTR's in about 1994 here in Burbank.

We have B format machines operating here in NTSC/PAL/SECAM.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services

Offices located at:
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073