[QuadList] SMECC Had a TR-5 Quad delivered today!

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 00:27:26 CDT 2012

[snip]

I  am looking to learn anything I  can about the TR-5  aside  ffrom being able to show  people   what a 2" tape machine  looks  like   I am  intrigued  with making it work!This hi band  head  you speak of.... this is  interesting....   no other  changes in  modules needed as  far as rest of the electronics!? tell me  more!good  to hear  it is  rugged. what is blue ribbonitis?

[end]

We might have played with the record currents when swapping to a high-band head. Just optimize them same as you would any time you changed heads. If you really have a ball bearing low band head, be certain there's compressed air available where the headwheel panel is seated on your machine before you drop in an air bearing head (high or low band).

Blue Ribbon was the family name of the blue and gold Amphenol module connectors. They were used in other places besides VTRs. Many VTR problems could be cured by pulling a module and cleaning the road dirt off the gold fingers. Such a sick machine was said to have "Blue Ribbon-itis". Lots of us depended on a trusty Pink Pearl eraser to keep anything with card edge connectors or Blue Ribbon connectors working properly.