[QuadList] save htis and look tr4 converts to hi band but alsoneed modul...

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 06:22:20 CDT 2012

Hi Folks,
The Ampex VPR-20 had a Hetrodyne color adapter which allowed you to playback color in the field for review purposes.It had a RF (channel 3 or 4) output, I used it at NAB in 1981, on a hand truck type of camera/recorder roll around remote which I built with a 12" Sony TV set.

We would show it side by side with a 19" Zenith TV set next to a color monitor with the same output fed thru a external TBC in most trade shows.

It was based on a chip, probably from National Semiconductor.and was packaged in a shielded metal box and was about 3" x 9" x 1/2" and it was an option which fit inside the case, This was an Al Trost design and worked very well.
The Sony device was a similar design by Len Kowal ( He worked with me in Elk Grove @ Ampex) and was built in his small San Jose shop. It was a 1RU standalone device.
This chip was the basis for the color playback on many VHS machines, and would not make Pal-M color, even if you tried to inject a proper color subcarrier, which we tried @ TV Globo in Rio during Carnival in early 80's.

We destroyed the chip in Globo's Advance engineering lab, which was run by Jose Dias, who was the VP of Advanced Engineering for TV Globo,

He got the money which started Pacific Data Images in Palo Alto in the 80's to get Pal-M color animation for TV Global. A great hands-on engineer and a good friend.

Bye for now, Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)