[QuadList] it makes it look like he is gonna put it in thevanhimself!

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 9 13:49:46 CDT 2012

		On Apr 9, 2012, at 7:13 AM, <bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv> wrote:

 > The tie was for the picture, but Bill Haught was quite a stout
fellow and just two of us did the job whenever needed, but we were all
young then as well!  A running start helped a bit!

		I offer:

	The photo kinda reminds me of how we used to handle 1-inch VTRs and U-
Matic VCR's for "Kate & Allie" tapings at the Ed Sullivan Theater.  We
used five Ampex VPR-2b's mounted in consoles to record the show in the
basement of the Theater; four camera ISO's and one "switched feed".
We also recorded five U-Matic cassettes with burned-in TC to edit off-
line in a linear edit room on the 12th floor of the Sullivan Office
Building above the Theater.  But the off-line room had to share two of
the U-Matic decks with the show recording.  So right after the second
taping on show night, we'd pack up two of the BVU-200's on their roll-
around carts and load them onto the Theater's freight elevator to take
them up to street level.  The freight elevator we were allowed to use
was only intended for the Theater, so we had to switch elevators to
one in the lobby of the Office Building in order to get the VCR's up
to the 12th floor for their installation in the off-line room.  This
meant that each week, the two BVU-200's would have to travel outside
the Theater and along 53rd Street to the lobby of the Office Building.
	At the time, I only worked on "K&A" for show production, so I was
never there to move the VCR's back down to the tape room.  But
obviously each week, someone had to move the machines back to the tape
room for the next show taping, which meant that this convoluted
procedure had to be reversed.
	"K&A" also had a major distinction at the time in that each week's
show included a unique opening scene shot on videotape, usually done
OUTSIDE of the Ed Sullivan Theater.  To do this, we had a pair of Sony
BVH-500's and two CEI small-tube cameras.  The entire setup could be
operated entirely under battery power, which we did many times.
Opening scenes were often shot in Central Park and other recognizable
locations in Midtown NYC.  Once, we were located directly across 53rd
Street from the Theater at a phone booth near Broadway.
	I really wish I had taken photos of my time working on "K&A".

					     NBC Today Show, New York