[QuadList] Quad Carts--Links to RCA and Ampex photo examples

Norman Hurst gnormhurst at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 21:22:09 CDT 2012

Ampex was caught off-guard when RCA introduced the TCR-100, and responded at the next NAB with the ACR-25, and one-upped them with twice the play time (6 min vs. 3).  But more than that, the ACR could cycle a cartridge in half the time, which meant that the ACR could play 10 second spots back to back but the TCR needed 20 seconds to rewind a tape and cue the next one.  Either machine could play a short spot as the last in a break.

(I think the 10-second spec was sometimes met by "deferring" rewind, especially for longer tapes.)

The ACR-25 had such a fast cycle time due to it's amazing tape handling.  It threaded the tape by sucking it out of the cartridge with vacuum and bringing the capstan and vacuum guide
up from under the deck after the tape was in the path.  The mechanical
repeatability of that moving vacuum guide (also used in the AVR-1) was a brilliant piece of engineering by Dale Dolby, the lesser-known mechanical-engineer brother of Ray Dolby.  Another reason for the fast cycle time was that the cartridge belt was circular, not oval, which allowed a larger minimum radius, which allowed it to spin faster.  The downside was that it was dangerous and had to be kept hidden inside the machine, so operators did not have random access to all the carts.

Another bit of trivia: The TCR-100 used DTL logic chips.  The ACR-25 used the brand-new TTL chip technology, which was much more sensitive to static discharge than DTL.  At NAB, RCA engineers would shuffle across Ampex's carpet and touch the ACR-25 to see what crazy thing it would do.