[QuadList] Quad Carts--Links to RCA and Ampex photo examples

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 11:44:34 CDT 2012

In message <C2DB2519-413F-40C4-B58A-57A4904F37F7 at verizon.net>, Dennis
Degan <DennyD1 at verizon.net> writes

>               On Aug 16, 2012, at 9:46 PM, David Crosthwait wrote:
>
>> One interesting note that I've said in the past on this list: As
>far as I am aware, NBC New York and Burbank were the only operations to
>air prime time commercials directly from a cart machine. I am fairly
>certain that CBS and ABC integrated their commercials into slugs in the
>air master being played back, but I stand to be corrected.
>
>               I offer:
>
>       This was true for the TCR/ACR era, but when CBS updated their
>ACR-25s  to digital machines (I think they were ACR-225's), I'd heard
>that the  digital carts were used directly on-air.
>       I was not present at NBC NY from 1979 to 2003, so I don't know
>what  they did after the TCR-100's.  I believe they had Panasonic cart
>machines using MII VTR's, whatever it may have been called.  I had also
>heard that NBC had Sony Betacart machines.  Whether any of these were
>used directly on air or not is unknown to me.

Certainly in the UK, some companies (I can't speak for all of them) were
running breaks direct from ACR-25 (a & B variant) machines in 1983.

I didn't see break compilation at my organisation (Granada TV in
Manchester) until the LMS appeared (equiped with BVW-75 decks) - the
backups were on automgically built on some flavour of BVH machine (I'm
not sure which as I didn't work in that department after the ACR's were
decommissioned). Shortly after I moved to an island site using a genuine
Betacart retrofitted with four BVW-95's. I acquired the keyboard from
that machine when it was scrapped some years later (and still have it
under the stairs).
--
"Remember how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are
stupider than that.  - G. Carlin"