[QuadList] Slight OT: When did networks transition from 2" Quad to 1" Type C?

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 21 01:18:39 CDT 2012

		On Aug 20, 2012, at 8:03 PM, David Perrussel wrote:

 > Overall, when did the "Big 3" networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and even PBS
for that matter) start the transition from 2" Quad to 1" Type C or
similar formats?

		I answer:

	Since the Type C format was first shown in 1977, VTRs found their way
into tape rooms starting around 1978.  Here are 3 photos of NBC's very
first machines as they were installed in 1978:
	<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515329174/>
	<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515328974/>
	<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515355785/>

		David said:

 > I'm sure it was over a period of time, but I'm wondering when the
transition to 1" really started to get going, pushing out 2" Quad to
backup status?
 > For example, when did NBC start to use 1" for the Tonight Show
instead of 2" Quad?

		I reply:

	I was in NY, not Burbank, but the transition, started in 1978, was
complete in 30 Rock around 1982 or so.  Most likely, the same was true
in Burbank.

		David:

 > Also, while I'm on the subject, when did 1" Type C start to end
it's reign and other formats started to take over?

		I answer:

	Again, there was a considerable transition period.  BetaCam, followed
by Beta SP started to become prevalent in the mid 1980's.  D2 digital
Composite VTRs helped push out 1-inch starting in 1989.  We were still
using all these formats until 1995.  Then, it became mostly D2 for us
at Unitel Video, NY.  Unitel had 4 Type C VTR's in every edit room,
but they stood mostly silent at that point.  Here's an example:
	<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/557702480/>

					     NBC Today Show, New York