[QuadList] Servo Modes

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 24 11:08:51 CDT 2012

		I previously said:

 > Not to throw cold water on it Wayne, but I don't know of a single
TV station that DIDN'T run their cart machines live to air. Only
networks would do this (with the notable exception of NBC). At the
network level, where more money is at stake, reliability is of much
higher priority than operator convenience. Not only would CBS and ABC
cut their commercials into the program masters, they would run two
copies of the commercial-inserted program on the air simultaneously to
enable quick switching in case of a failure of the on-air tape. Again,
no local TV station I'm aware of did this.

		On Aug 24, 2012, at 11:25 AM, kylebook at aol.com wrote:

 > Not sure if this was standard operating procedure at other local
stations carrying live sports events, but during my time at WHCT in
Hartford, CT, when they carried a live Hartford Whalers hockey
telecast, they did not use their spot playback system (The LaKart 3/4"
system), but instead ran the spots from compilation reels.  The reason
behind this, similar to the network philosophy, was that these were
high revenue generating commercials, where operational failure & "make
goods" were just not option.

		I respond:

	I'm not saying that local stations didn't EVER use a Primary/Backup
procedure or produce compilation tapes for air.  I should have
included "as their normal operating procedure" in my comment.  I
believe that at that time, it was standard operating procedure to only
use one cart machine directly on-air at most TV stations.  Most
stations only had one cart machine (all the stations I worked at that
had cart machines each had only one).  The stations that had more than
one were still not known to have used a pair of them as Primary/Backup
like a network would have done.  Even so, they all used them directly
to air, except in those instances as Kyle described.
	One of the stations I worked at originated a 10-station regional
basketball network.  During the game, they aired their local
commercials from the cart machine and the basketball network
commercials ran from a single compilation quad tape (not a pair of
Primary/Backup machines).  The station only had one ACR-25 and two
Ampex VR-1200's.

					     NBC Today Show, New York