[QuadList] Scotch 400--The story behind the bad glue--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Aug 31 15:52:43 CDT 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:58 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> Not all the foam was bad. The story is another company supplied the glue that was bad. I'm not sure I believe that. Selling glue to 3M?
>
> Best,
> Park

In the QuadList thread about Foam Tape Reel Flanges last Dec., you might recall this portion of that post:

In a separate thread about powdery substances, videotape restoration facility Spec Brothers' Peter Brothers went into the history of the problem:

The cushion-flange glue problem only happened on 3M (Scotch) 1" and 2"
video.

Most cushioned reels are fine but, at one point, 3M subcontracted out
the cushion attachment part of the reel manufacture and the
subcontractor used the wrong glue.

3M devised a process for addressing the problem, and Jim Lindner's Vidipax (since sold/demised) acquired the info on the process and used it.

Linder also reported on the use of Eucalyptus Oil at Screensound (the national archives) in Australia:

Be careful, whatever you use.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com