[QuadList] OT: Ampex Engineering

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Wed Feb 22 01:51:46 CST 2012

I was reading up on what Nuvistors were, I knew they were tubes from the many discussion of headwheel preamps here, but I didn't know much beyond that.
On Wikipedia they mentioned an Ampex audio tape recorder called a MR70 that used Nuvistors extensively and I started researching that.

I found this video on someone's restoration of a MR70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDHs3kmGj4

What I find interesting about this is the consistency in how Ampex tape machines worked. How you could just push the reels back-and-forth seems like a magic trick for someone raised on Sony Umatic, Betacam and Type-C machines. It would seem that nobody else engineered things quite like Ampex did.

Sorry for the diversion, now back to your regular programming.

Scott Thomas