[QuadList] OT: Ampex Engineering

Steve Spears stevespears at kel.com
Wed Feb 22 03:57:57 CST 2012

RCA developed the little "very very high gain" Nuvistor tube,  in the late fifties, for the much more refined and affordable next generation color TV line. The "NewVista" (tuner) sales tag logo went on the sets around 1960 in the CTC-12 era. The Nuvistor RF amp in the front end of the tuner, for color reception out on the fringes from all of those fifty foot high rooftop antenna's made all the difference in the world and left RCA's #1 competitor, Zenith, in the dust as far as tuner gain went.

It did'nt take Ampex (probably Charlie Ginsburg) very long to call up RCA and say how about send us a crate'full'a those hot little devils.

My Ampex VR-1000C (1960) here, has a Mark 10 head with a Nuvistor front end.

We're just finishing up a very nice what you migth call a "springwinter" this year. How sweet it is.

Steve Spears
Orrs Island, Maine