[QuadList] ot - collecting the rest of the tv station.....

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 15:15:24 CST 2012

The secret to keeping the Model 15 page printer (and all it's teen numbered siblings) in good running order is keep it slathered in oil.  It's hard to find the specification oil, but 20 wt non detergent engine oil will do) and lubriplate can serve in place of the specification grease.  The the main drive shaft that runs along under the back of the printer mechanism has five felt slip clutches on it.  You need to pry these open a bit with a small flat blade screwdriver (they are spring loaded) and saturate them with oil.  One end of the drive shaft (I recall it's the left end) has an oil hole for oiling the wick down the center of the drive shaft.  Take the printer off the base and stand it on end and add oil until you see it run out the other end. Oil the felt clutches on the left end of the platen.  Oil anything else that looks like it moves.  Put grease on anything that slides. This is one venue where you don't have to worry about over-lubing the device.  I had an AP technician tell me once that if it were not for the fact the paper would get wet, the best approach would be to run the machine in a vat of oil.  If you don't keep the drive shaft oiled up, it will break. The most common failure in news machines that ran all day was broken drive shafts. If the machine is intact, and was working, oiling it will probably make it work again.  Of course, you do need a source of code to print, but that's another problem.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ

Attached Message

[QuadList] ot - collecting the rest of the tv station.....

Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2012 02:10:58 -0500 (EST)

I need to get  a couple more of these and parts to keep them running.
thanks ed #