[QuadList] KUHT and Quad--Re: Pat McGowan (Was KPRC Tape room)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Feb 4 18:15:08 CST 2012

On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Pat McGowan wrote:

> Thanks Dave,
>
> Great youtube footage. That's the 60's. TR-22 and an Ampex 1000 (1st machines I worked on at KUHT). Love all the Techs in shirts and ties. Remember WGN in 1970 where all the Engineers wore shirt and tie except on some of the night weekend shifts.
>
> Those were the days!

Pat, were you there when this photo was taken of KUHT's first VTR being pushed into the building?:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uhdigital/6554940475/in/photostream
(UHT photo, rights as per license on the above webpage)

This Master Control switcher job description—apparently dating from July of 1999—still shows up on the UHT website:
http://www.uh.edu/admin/hr/backup/comp/salstruc/G5B8.htm
Job Duties
1. Reads and maintains the daily log and works closely with the Programming Department to ensure program continuity.
2. Monitors audio and video levels and makes appropriate adjustments as needed.
3. Loads video server with necessary materials; records programming to videotape.
4. Operates the television transmitter by remote control; operates camera control as needed.
5. Sets up quad VTRs.
Was KUHT still using Quads in 1999?  It apparently had servers.

The latest news out of KUHT is that a dozen people were laid off this past week:
http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2012/02/uhs-channel-8-lays-off-12-employees/

Fifth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB
12:30pm, Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Lower South Hall REAR food concession area

See us at NAB 2012, April 16-19 in Booth SL-9607
Use code 2012 for your free NAB Exhibits Pass