[QuadList] Ampex XVR-7500 details

Dave Sieg dave at zfx.com
Tue Feb 14 21:28:31 CST 2012

Very interesting background on the 7000 series!
The first VTR I ever saw was the 7000 in the roll-around cart,
Dobyns-Bennett High School had 2 of them and Gary Smith
kept them running well.
Then I got a job working for a cable origination station and we had
to lug around a 7800, switcher, audio mixer and 2 GE cameras
to shoot "The Lonesome Valley Jamboree" at the old Gem Theatre
in Kingsport, TN on Saturday nights and "Wrasslin" at the National
Guard armory on Wed nights.  My back still aches from lugging
that thing up stairs!
Later, in college we had 3 IVC machines, 300 or 400 series.
They were fine except for that big gaping floating dropout!
I had always heard that IVC was started by some former-Ampex guys.
Always wondered about that.
Thanks for the info!

--
Dave Sieg