[QuadList] Ampex XVR-7500 details

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Feb 14 21:53:57 CST 2012

We had the 7800's (2) at NTSU. They were constantly up on the service kit, almost full time. One other student and I learned on our own how to change the video head and fix the other problems. The movable guides meant a new interchange standard on every recording. Years later when I heard that the Sony 2000 would have movable guides, I said "Well that will never work!".  Since Sony was involved in that design, it worked perfectly (precision machining had improved greatly by 1981). The 7800 style movable guides were a thing of the past. Now with our 1" type A transfers today (some on the VPR-1, some on 7000 series decks) , I am reliving those memories again.

In regard to remotes and the 7800, the machines and Ampex vidicon cameras were used on football and basketball games in a converted travel trailer around North Texas where they could find AC to run the equipment. Fortunately I missed those excursions.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Videotape Transfers and More!