[QuadList] OT: is S-VHS "obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?

James Snyder snyder at dtvexpress.net
Mon Feb 27 11:57:56 CST 2012

SVHS (or "Super VHS") used different carrier frequencies for the luma
and chroma part of the signal.  If a deck was good enough, SVHS could
record the luma signal (at 400 lines of resolution based on the
bandwidth it could record on the tape) better than the best NTSC
signal (which tops out at about 330 lines of resolution based on
actual bandwidth).  The chroma was still color under and still
suffered the vagaries of VHS processing, but it had better resolution
as well.  The Y/C (or 'SVHS') cables were designed to keep the luma
and chroma separate so they wouldn't inject as many NTSC artifacts in
to the SVHS video.  NTSC artifacts are, of course, mainly crosstalk
between the luma and chroma subcarriers.

The quasi-SVHS playback systems could playback the higher carrier
frequencies of SVHS, but only had the video bandwidth of VHS, meaning
that Panasonic's SQPB feature could playback an SVHS tape at VHS
quality.  Not as good as true SVHS, but at least its playable.

My first SVHS deck was a Toshiba SV-700 that I bought in 1990.  The
years I used it looked SO much better than the VHS I had done
previously.  As time went on, the JVC models really didn't look much
better than you're run-of-the-mill VHS, but the Panasonics and the
DVHS players from Mitsubishi and JVC still reproduced SVHS at top
quality.  What a shame there are no machines in production today that
can reproduce what SVHS could record.

Lastly, I'm fascinated by the subject line's question: "is S-VHS
"obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?"  What on earth does the
Copyright law have to do with a format being considered obsolete?

James
James Snyder
Senior Systems Administrator
Library of Congress -
   National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC)
Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division (MBRS)
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation
http://www.loc.gov/avconservation/packard/