[QuadList] OT: is S-VHS "obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:02:26 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Snyder"

As time went on, the JVC models really didn't look much
> better than you're run-of-the-mill VHS, but the Panasonics and the DVHS
> players from Mitsubishi and JVC still reproduced SVHS at top quality.
> What a shame there are no machines in production today that can reproduce
> what SVHS could record.

Hi James:

Just curious, having done a number of "shoot-outs" in the mid 90's with
various manufacturers, whether your statement above about JVC machines
included the "22" series (BR-S822 / 622 / 522)?  They consistently won our
technical evaluations at the time, so I'm wondering if you might be talking
about earlier models.  No doubt that Panasonic had some very good machines
too, but they never quite measured up to the last generation JVC in our
tests.  Although rarely used now, I still have some of these and the quality
amazes visitors who aren't familiar with them.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com