[QuadList] OT: is S-VHS "obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?

Bill Seery preservation at standby.org
Tue Feb 28 02:07:52 CST 2012

I think what Walter is trying to discover is if it is legal for an institution that has S-VHS in its collection to make duplicates for its own use.  Under Copyright law it is legal to do so if the material is damaged, at risk or if the format is considered obsolete. There may be other factors as well, but what officially determines obsolescence? My vote is that S-VHS is obsolete and copies can be made.

Bill Seery
Preservation Program Manager
preservation at standby.org
212.627.8070