[QuadList] Today's 60th Anniversary--Happy B-Day Today and a few others

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Jan 12 15:07:07 CST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Dennis Degan wrote:

> The actual first Today Show was on January 14, 1952

Happy Birthday!

Wow.  That's the date I was born a few years later.

January 14 is also the air-date for NBC's 1960 broadcast of the Tennesee Ernie Ford show's "HMS Pinafore" which I would suspect was also recorded on Quad and edited for air.

Maybe David Crosthwait can tell us more... IE, Burbank or NYC, RCA Labs or Low Band Color, etc.

And here's a segment of the Today Show in the Bryant Gumbell/Willard Scott era from Quad, recorded off the line at a network affiliate, if I correctly recall the history I was told.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0Z8xoVZ6I