[QuadList] OT: Switchers (was Grass Valley)

Scott Thomas scottgfx at me.com
Wed Jul 11 02:09:34 CDT 2012

Our K-Scope lived in the news control room and was later moved to an edit suite. A DPM-700 then went into the control room. In a way that was a plus as it was a 2 channel box and we had only one K-Scope chassis. The DPM-700 was never correctly tied into the 300, even though we had hardware to do that. Enable the communications and the aux routers would freeze up.

The original plan was for DigiBeta in the edit suite, so we would have pre-read, but the room limped along with BVW-75's. Still beyond anyone else in the market, hardware wise.

There was a period of a few weeks to perhaps months where we lost the defocus... You would turn it on, crank up the blur and watch the screen turn white. Engineer later figured out that he had re-installed the boards in the wrong order. :)

The K-Scope was a switch blade tool to me. Used it for noise reduction for a news package for Good Morning America. GMA came to Fort Myers for the 1995 spring training lockout/strike. Some of the footage was noisy footage from Japan I think.

Scott Thomas