[QuadList] OT: Switchers (was Grass Valley)

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed Jul 11 00:23:50 CDT 2012

Scott,

Yes, I miss the 300 and 3K/4K workflows. Grass Valley really knew how to lay out a panel with excellent reliability to boot. In terms of DVE's, multiple channels of Kscope were hard to beat  (Kurl and defocus to the rescue!).

Sony really kept making inroads in editing suites (the BVE 9100 was my final favorite edit controller as it was the most accurate devise to talk to Sony VTR's in special usage circumstances coupled with their  HD switchers/DME's). Their unified approach was hard to beat when putting together an HD edit bay. And getting into a 444 environment on the Sony switcher was no easy feat but it did work well with the SR's. Working with the Sony switchers does make one yearn for the GVG workflow though, in my opinion. If only the fluid like feel of an ADO 3000 could have been grafted into a Kscope box, life would have been great! but those days are over.

Did any of you on the East Coast or in the UK ever have experience with the Sony System G? That was mostly an NAB show piece although I knew of one in Hollywood for a while. I expect to see it at the scrap yard one of these days in a display case featuring outlandishly expensive but short lived video toys.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
david at dcvideo.com