[QuadList] --Loosely packed tape with foam debris (Was QVTG Phoenix Dinner)

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 18:08:22 CDT 2012

		On Jul 18, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Steve White wrote:

 > I'm obviously below novice level here, but is static charge buildup
ever a concern when winding past brush?  Is moistened pad ever
appropriate?  I seem to recall some quad tape cleaning process that
involved moist pad.

		I answer:

	I specifically did not address cleaning the tape itself.  For the
most part, more damage can be done to the tape by applying any kind of
brush or pad on the oxide surface.  The act of slowly winding the tape
alone will loosen a lot of the dust and dirt and will minimize
damage.  Static charge is not usually a concern, but it is another
reason not to apply pads or brushes to the winding tape.
	It is possible to clean the backing if done carefully.  I just don't
think much is to be gained by cleaning the backing either.  The arms
that control the reel tensioning and the rotary head vacuum guide
provide enough pressure on the backing to remove loose dust and dirt
as the tape is wound.  I feel that cleaning any more deeply is risky,
especially when dealing with all the possible variations of tape
formulas and conditions.
	I remember Recortec used to make a nifty 2-inch tape cleaner that
operated with a vacuum column similar to the reel servo columns of the
AVR-1 (except it was larger and included only one chamber).  This
cleaner applied the vacuum to the oxide surface of the tape to remove
debris and also passed the tape over polished stainless steel rollers
to 'condition' the tape's surfaces.  It did an amazing job, but not
the sort of thing you can do by hand.  It contained no brushes or
pads, as I recall.

					     NBC Today Show, New York