[QuadList] What Would a Newly Designed Quad VTR Do and Have? Reply by 6/15/2012- (Was Ampex Quad VTR Airflow Requirements)

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 18:39:06 CDT 2012

I had wondered if a scanning technique would work. They are able to scan wax cylinders and then reconstruct the sound information, why not magnetic tape?

My idea would be a scanner not too unlike the quad acanner. It would need only one head and could work on the tape in a slower than real-time rate.

I think the software to reconstruct an image would probably be a massive challenge and the amount of raw data that would be collected in the scanning process would fill a datacenter, but what do I know. Might be easer to just build a new quad machine. :)

Scott Thomas