[QuadList] OT: Chiron III (Was: Seconds to Play: 2" quadplayback and more.)

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 14:02:44 CDT 2012

The basic architecture of the run-length coded Chyrons depended on a series of alternating operations. There was a board to generate the first scan line of a character, then another board generated the second line, the first board generated the third line and so forth.  Then you had boards that assembled alternating fields, etc.  The RGU did all these operations in one board per layer, which made it slower.  A real sports operator could get ahead of the machine, and it would just hang up and need a power cycle to get it going again.  The RGU that we had at WGN suffered from connectoritis in the IC sockets as well. The cure sent out by Chyron was to shove an Augat machined pin socket into the original socket and then put the chip back into that.  It sorta helped, but wasn't a solid fix by any means.
The CPU was based on running four 4-bit CPUs in tandem to make a 16 bit cpu.  I believe the instruction buss was something like 81 bits wide and did several operations on each machine cycle.  The bible of the CPU was a book called "Bit Slice Microprocessors" by Mick and Blick.  I still have a copy around the library somewhere.
    Chyron had a kit to fit hard drives into several of the later machines, I think.

Bob Bruner
WTTW/Chicago

Attached Message