[QuadList] Audio and Time Code

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 09:58:35 CST 2012

The Ampex pre amp that was provided is part of the RA-4000 interface  kit.
It mounted on the back side of the transport where the audio  heads was
located.  You removed the audio head connector from the deck with  a couple of
Allen screws and then put this small pre amp on as a replacement  for the
connector.  Reattach the original cable and you have an in  line pre amp.
There was another cable that was part of the harness  added.  It went to the
RA-4000 interface.  Then the time code was sent  down one control cable to the
RA-4000.

A very good editing system.  The only thing that I had a problem  was that
the capstan servos in the AVR-2 were so good that TSO would be released
before boost was turned off.  Then boost would pull the tape and the  machine
would be out of lock by a frame.  Hard to do match frames.   Frank Davis
solved the problem about 3 in the morning when we finally proved  that the
machine was doing this.  There was a modification to the RA-4000  that was
released later.  The VR-1200 would do the same thing but  rarely.  That capstan
servo took longer to lock and thus it was not as big  an issue.

We did find that we could do color frame edits all day long with the
system.  We took H Drive and divided it by two to give a 7.8 KHz  pulse.  This
was like a PAL pulse that the editor would recognize and then  it commands
would always be color framed as long as you did even to even or odd  to odd
addresses.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN