[QuadList] OT: Lost tapes - moon landing

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed May 2 12:05:37 CDT 2012

This subject is going through a discussion on the Ampex list. One participant has submitted a set of images for comparison:

http://gcmstudio.com/imagesonly/moonlanding.jpg

Several years ago, a set of 2" quad tapes (output of the scan conversion as it arrived in Houston and recorded on Ampex gear, before being transmitted to NYC via AT&T microwave/coaxial cable) was brought here for recovery. The story of these tapes and their existence is the subject of a movie in production:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/julymoon/

Until the original data tapes are found, this set of 2" quad tapes may yield the best images as it was recorded before the feed (and subsequent expected loss of quality) to New York

Lowry Digital processed a set of recordings (some of which were recorded from the JSC to NYC feed at the NYC end) for a government entity for the 40th. anniversary in 2009. A NASA press conference introduced the principals involved. Of course, Mr. Lowry has passed away and the project leader has left Lowry, moving on to another company. It is believed that this set of 2" tapes can be the basis of a higher quality restoration effort in lieu of the raw data tapes. This remains to be seen.

Bill Wood (a visitor here to our facility) has an excellent tutorial on Apollo era TV transmissions:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ApolloTV-Acrobat5.pdf

Meanwhile, the search for any original slow scan videotapes and/or data tapes continues. Our VR 660 awaits the surfacing of the slowscan-to-helical recordings.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Videotape transfers and more!