[QuadList] Registry of QUAD Machines--Maine VR-1000C--CBSEngineers

Steve Spears stevespears at kel.com
Fri May 18 05:25:03 CDT 2012

I would appreciate your discussing it with the CBS group...and if they have any Ampex Quad friends or associates up here in Maine that are around and retired, it would be a nice project to bring this one on-line again just for the history and to allow people to see it run on occasion.

We have three network affiliates up here and just the kind of local news reporting that they'd probably like to get behind it and talk it up on air.

I don't drive, I stay close by, and I'm starting into cancer radiation treatments, so anything that you can help with that CBS NY group would be appreciated.

Stanford Library in California did a nice copy set of 1000 C manuals for me but it's mostly from the "pre-upgrade" days, color etc. No big racks of tubes, it's the stand alone machine with the bridge.

I've got a Sigma CSG-365A Synch Generator standing by and a TEC 528 and TEC 1750 scopes standing by.  It needs the vacuum system back on, compressor etc.

It's a nice neat and clean machine, I've it kept stored and preserved since the day when I traded KEPR-TV a Sony 2800 editor for their news department 22 years ago. It was'nt one rescued out of a chickencoop from somebody's backyard fortunately. When the chief (Don Eckis) moved it to the Bekins Storage a few blocks from KEPR over in Pasco, WA in 1990, the manual set stayed behind (un-fortunately) and after they got a new chief and went through a cleanout of their technical library, the full regular manual set got tossed out and ended up in the local landfill.

It's part of the family, and I really prefer to to be able to keep it here in this area and set it up where people can see it run on occasion. I think we've got a lot of sites around here where it could be transplanted easily and the public could have viewing access to it.

Steve Spears
Orrs Island, Maine
www.kel.com
(207) 833-2491