[QuadList] OT Bauman Spyder Pedestal how much weight will if safely hold?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat May 19 23:20:21 CDT 2012

Ed,

My RCA TK-11B (Catalog B.2002) and TK-31B (Catalog B-2050) peg the camera head at 109 pounds with viewfinder, but without lenses.

These Bauman pedestals were likely made with something half that amount in mind.  Be very careful.

The crank up version of these peds was underneath the first television cameras I got to have hands-on with circa 1967-69 used a couple of the crank-up versions of these peds.

The cameras were cylindrical Dage black and white vidicon cameras, and the peds handled those well without being "tippy" as I recall. But there wasn't a lot of weight on them.

One had a viewfinder, "reach around" zoom lens (try doing both simultaneously with one hand) and low-cost version of the cradle heads like you usually see under TK-41s. The other had a remotely controlled Pan/Tilt head with remote Zoom and Focus.

As I said, the pedestals were fine for lightweight camera gear... but a TK-11/31 weight camera with the wheel legs all the way retracted might be a chancy situation.

Hope this helps.

Ted