[QuadList] OT--Early Television Foundation annual conferencecoverate--TV Technology magazine

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun May 20 00:09:55 CDT 2012

Hi, Ed,

Sounds like you had fun in Hilliard.  How are things in Omaha?

I was hoping to attend the CBS Retired Engineers' lunch but the installation I'm part of in NYC got shifted, and has blocked my attendance from happening.

Regarding the NBC to CBS playout of one or more of the Astaire shows you worked on:

I'd read some brief info about NBC playing out to CBS (Your Color pages, and Kris Trexler's website?)

Based on what Don Kent told me about the tapes you worked with, I have some doubts that there was any "live to network air" playback from NBC to CBS.... at least in 1965.

Here's part of his reply to an e-mail I sent both of you back on May 3:
>  RE: NBC playback to CBS--Astaire shows and other restoration details

I had sent my long overdue "Part 2" to the saga of the tapes you, Don and Dan worked on in 1988... and wanted feedback and fact checking before I put it out to the list, and put it up as pages on the website.

I said:

I'm particularly interested in whether you have any information about:
How the 1964/65 CBS Astaire broadcasts were prepared.  Particularly regarding how the playback of "An Evening with..." was addressed.  Where any NBC playback to CBS was done, and when.

Is it possible High Band copies were made for CBS?

More information about how NBC put together "An Evening with..." since it seems to have had a number of roll-in elements.  Was there a master tape made for playback at airtime?  Was the show rolled together to air?
I was also wondering how CBS made the deletions of the Chrysler sponsorship mentions in the shows.

A tape of the second show apparently had some physical deletions of mentions, which Don thinks were done by CBS.  If so, where, when and how?

My understanding from several exchanges with Don is is that only the first show, "An Evening with Fred Astaire" was RCA Labs, and that the other two were Low Band Color.

Don replied on May 3 (edited to the relevant details) with some specific info I've put in bold:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Good to hear from you.  I don’t know how much help I can be with how CBS aired the things.  Probably Ed or Dan have more details.  From all I was told, though, the first show wasn’t done as a tape playback.  It was live with the roll in segments played individually.  The dance routines were on the roll-ins (complete with the banding of the day).  The host-banter, etc., was live.  You may want to talk to Bud Yorkin about how it was done.  Maybe he can put you on the track of other folks who know more.

Although from looking at the clips Kris Trexler posted to YouTube, not all the dance routines were on roll ins.

So how did NBC end up with a complete program on either/both of the first and second airings? Did "Live" mean "Live to Network" or "Live to Tape," with the roll-ins being played during the taping?

I gather that the roll-ins were in the batch of tapes you had to work with.  Was there a complete program on tape?

It would seem so for the January 1959 airing on NBC.

What did CBS play to air? Especially if they needed to dump any Chrysler references.

At least for the first show, I would have thought CBS would have had a dub made and worked with that. And in 1965, High Band was quite likely present at both NBC and CBS... in Burbank, TVC and NY.

If a dub was done via an NBC to CBS line, or a copy made at NBC, is there a tape in the CBS Archives, somewhere?

As I said in my May 3 e-mail...

> Since the programs were recorded in Burbank, and Astaire's LA based production company owned the shows, I would be very surprised if the RCA Color (or RCA Labs) playback was done in New York... although who can tell without a lot of research.

Don's response to my May 3 message continued...

> I can’t tell you the pedigree of the other two.  As for the second show, I suspect that it was a series of blade-edited sequences and probably played from tape as a complete show.  We didn’t look into it much.  We were too busy lining up all the black and white segments to replace those that had been cut out of the tape by CBS.
>
> The third one, especially, appears to be a typical taped Greg Garrison show (he directed it).  Very “canned”.
>
> To answer your question about the high band copies, I can only speculate.  You really need to talk to an old-timer at CBS.  It would make perfect sense, especially since it was a full hour on the network.  If there were copies they’re probably gone by now.

He reiterated the "how the tapes came to us" history... adding:

And then he said:

> That hookup was done for the 1959 airing.

Did CBS air the first show, "An Evening with Fred Astaire" in 1959??  A 1959 airing on CBS doesn't show up in any of the online research I've done.  Have I missed something?

> As I think more about it I’d bet that high-band copies were struck and the 1965 CBS airing came from one of them.  I don’t know how good the paper records are at Television City, nor do I think there’s anyone around anymore who can tell you about the circumstances.  I do know that double rolling was done as protection for network originations.  1965 wasn’t in the Stone Age!  They were reasonable sophisticated by then.  If there were a copy, and it turned up, I wouldn’t expect the quality to be as good as the original, though.
>
> Also, I can’t tell you anything about NBC playing color for ABC.  You’d think they could afford a color recorder by the time they got into it!  I have a copy of an ABC color show from December of ’62 (Dan Einstein has the original).  I think it was ABC’s first color playback, and was in standard L.B.C.  I recall (without actually looking) it was a Bing Crosby show, and not too good at that!  I don’t remember the crew credits.  Maybe Dan has a listing.
>
> Hope this helps a little.
>
> Best,
>
> Don Kent

So... I've got a lot of questions looking for answers.  I'd appreciate whatever you can fill in.

As time permits, I'll see whether I can dig up anyone in LA or NYC that might have a clue.

I know how to reach the Archivist at TVC... and you might want to think about being in LA on or about Nov. 30, this year.

I'm hoping to arrange a repeat of the the visit to TVC that Dave Keleshian arranged... but this one for the 56th anniversary of the first use of VT on network air.

Thanks again,

Ted