[QuadList] New Picture Quiz

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:21:55 CST 2012

Chris wins again!!!   He's a tiny bit off on the details, but an excellent job of deducement!

The picture is of the back end of a capstan motor for a VR-3000, showing the tach amplifier.  As far as I know, the VR-3000 was the first quad to use a DC motor and an optical tach for the capstan servo system.  The only part that Chris missed was that the three circuits aren't due to three phase, two are amplifier stages for each of the two optical pickups, and the third is the output stage for the combined signals.

This particular motor has an interesting story that's not quite complete yet, but when it is, I'll post it to the list.  Here's a side view of the whole assembly.  A cover has been removed from the rear to expose the tach area.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com