[QuadList] HS-100 disc

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 09:26:04 CST 2012

		On Nov 8, 2012, at 3:41 AM, I wrote:

	Yes, Reeves had a well-equipped machine shop on the first floor at
304 East 44th Street where two German craftsmen made all kinds of
special equipment and parts.  Reeves' world-renowned Sound Shop audio
facility in the same building was full of these special do-dads.  The
facility, opened in 1947 as Reeves Sound Studios, was where the audio
for all Cinerama movies were mixed.  When I worked at Reeves in the
1980's, the Sound Shop was where literally hundreds of movies and TV
shows were mixed.  Our video maintenance shop was located directly
behind the largest mix room, Studio C, where most of the big stuff was
done.
	Hazard Reeves was the inventor of mag-sound sprocketed film for movie
post-production.  Beginning in 1948, mag-film effectively made optical
post-production obsolete.  Reeves' double-system sprocketed magnetic
film became the standard for film audio post-production, lasting until
the current era of digital sound mixing.
	<http://www.in70mm.com/cinerama/archive/sound/index.htm>
	<http://www.cineramaadventure.com/reeves.htm>

		On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:49 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

 > Dennis,
 > Thanks for the Hazard Reeves background. The Wiki says: "Following
the war, in 1946, Reeves founded the Reeves Soundcraft Corporation and
directed the operation of a number of companies manufacturing a
variety of products including recording tape and film, record discs,
wire cable, television tubes and cameras and precision recording
equipment. Reeves introduced magnetic recording to the film industry
in 1948." Looks like they were busy into all sorts of enterprises!
Like CBS's Ampex 2" VTR's, might I gather that it was not too much
time when the HS 100 came through the door that it went to the machine
shop for custom retrofitting?

		I now reply:

	Yes, Reeves was involved in many audio-related businesses, most of
them started long before I came on the scene there.  In fact, it
appears that he got out of the equipment and supply businesses as late
as the 1970's.  One of those companies, Audio Devices (which made
acetate recording discs), was sold to EMI-Capitol Records.
	I heard that the HS-100 (which was actually originally an HS-200),
was modified after a few years of use.  From what I heard from 'old-
timers' when I worked at Reeves in the 1980's, techs would complain
that the heads required too much attention (imagine that!) and
requested that more solid adjustment blocks be made in order to make
the head adjustments more rugged.  The adjustment blocks were already
part of the machine when I worked at Reeves.  This was a machine that
was used in the New York post facility, in studios, and on production
remotes on the Reeves/Teletape remote truck.

					     NBC Today Show, New York