[QuadList] Colortec board 12 capacitor corrosion

L.E. Odham leodham at centurylink.net
Mon Nov 12 12:56:33 CST 2012

Hi Don & Park,

Yeah I wondered a little bit about why/how such a big mess was made, too. This particular colortec may have been exposed to extreme temperature changes over a period of time in an uncontrolled storage situation.

I'm thinking it was one of the spare pieces that came from out back of the Winston-Salem cat house guy.  The fellow's name escapes me, but I do remember all those cats running around all inside the building.    There were a couple t ractor t railers full of equipment & various parts-pieces  parked out back and this colortec came from one of those vans I'm pretty sure.

Maybe  the 15-20 degree freezing temperatures made them pop, or the 120 degrees inside heat in the summer.

The last batch of those exact OEM type caps  I purchased was at Sky Craft in Florida last Feb. after the Orlando  hamfest. $4. dollars each for 270 uf.

I shoulda bought more! haha.

At this late date, I really want to stay as true to original as possible. Those oem's have lasted for 40+- yrs, a tall order for any electrolytic. Many years ago attending the engineering program at NE State Tech, I was taught  that electrolytics have a shelf life; i e., they will go bad new sitting on the shelf after enough time passes and the electrolyte dries out enough. The sealed 'wet' caps were an attempt at stabiliz ing and extending the useable life by keeping the electrolyte stable(from drying out).

Seems that idea worked pretty good!

Larry Odham

Quad Tape Transfer

www.QUADTAPEXFER.com