[QuadList] was Saturday Quad Matinee feature..now magnetic scratches

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Mon Nov 19 11:55:29 CST 2012

My experience was that the front side master erase head also contributed
to this magnetic scratching problem.  It would develop little pits in
which the magnetized tape particles would embed themselves with the same
sad results.
If I remember correctly, the service manual recommends cleaning those
tiny holes out with a small wire from time to time.  Always seemed a
little "iffy" to me to do, but I guess a thin soft copper wire wasn't
going to scratch whatever hard metal that post was made out of.
The elimination of the air guide post with a roller guide, a la Ampex,
and back-side master erase head on the 70C sure seems to help that
issue...at least from what I've observed since having them.
Guy