[QuadList] Mk-XX Quad Head and VPR-80

Steve Burgess saburgess at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 30 01:41:14 CDT 2013

Just joined QuadList as I'm now the proud owner of an Ampex Mk-XX Quad head.  Good ol' eBay!

I've always been something of an Ampex fan.  I grew up in the south of England during the '60s.  There was a recreation ground right next to Southern Television's newly-built colour studios and, already interested in audio tape recorders and electronics in general, I would often peer through the window at their VR-2000Bs and ACR-25 as I sat on my bike in the early '70s.

I joined BBC Television in 1979 and by 1983 I was helping maintain VPR-2Bs and AVR-2s at the Lime Grove, London studios.  I attended a 3-week Ampex course on the VPR-2B and TBC-2B in 1985.

More on the Mk-XX another time, meanwhile I'm restoring a VPR-80 and TBC-40.  Fortunately I have all the manuals, etc - but one thing bothers me: the 2764 Eproms on the Control and Servo PWAs.  Bearing in mind this is a 625 PAL machine, does anyone have details of the firmware?  Maybe you still have some relevant FEBs?  P/ns are:

Control:  1473013, ...14, ...15, ...16  (-01 v3.0 is fitted but there is a later -03 v3.3)
Servo:  1472974, ...990  (-01 v3.0 fitted)

I'll remove the Eproms and read/copy in due course but some reassurance that the data they hold is intact after almost 30 years - or that the firmware is available elsewhere - would be welcome.

(...and anyone have any C-Format PAL heads they no longer need?)

I know this isn't strictly Quad stuff but I will be posting re the Mk-XX soon.

Steve